Garbage disposals are a great addition to any household. By disposing of food waste immediately, not only do they make your home more sanitary, but they -reduce the amount of money you have to spend on garbage bags and related cleaning items. Unfortunately, no kitchen appliance can last forever—garbage disposals included. Here are a few signs your garbage disposal needs repair:
1. Dirty Water Dirty water is one of the most common signs of a clogged or jammed garbage disposal unit. If your garbage disposal is having trouble draining, or is draining slowly while allowing dirty water to flow back into the sink, then the unit most likely is clogged or jammed. While there are a number of ways to repair a clogged or jammed disposal, doing so on your own is not recommended; the entire unit must be disassembled, which can become dangerous if certain steps are overlooked. It’s a fix best left to the experts.
2. Loud Rattling A loud rattling sound might be audible if the blades in the unit are broken. If this happens, the disposal will no longer be able to grind up material. Even if there is not a loud rattling sound, however, the disposal unit may be in need of repair; the blades might be dull and need to be replaced or professionally sharpened. In some cases, when the blades are completely broken and replacement blades are not available, the unit may need to be replaced entirely.
3. Excess Water Excess water can be found underneath the sink area or dripping from the disposal unit if it is leaking. This could be happening due to one of two reasons: (1) the rubber gasket might need to be replaced, or(2) the joints that connect the unit to the sink and dishwasher might need to replaced or retightened. While avoiding disposing of harsh chemicals such as bleach can lengthen the life of the rubber gaskets and help to prevent future leaks, if you have a leak now you should get professional help today before the problem becomes worse. If you have a garbage disposal problem, contact a professional to get the job done right. For a fast and reliable garbage disposal repair service, call the professionals at C & W Plumbing. We’re open Monday through Saturday and after hours. To schedule an appointment, call us at 972-395-2597 today!
Latest posts by Chris Edmonds (see all)
- A Day Out in Lewisville: 23 Fun Things to Do - March 2, 2020
- 8 Pro Tips for a Smooth Bathroom Remodel - March 1, 2020
- C&W Plumbing Earns 2019 Angie’s List Super Service Award - February 7, 2020